Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I love women!

It's true, I'd be lost without the sisterhood. Women are the rock of my life. I've always been interested in gender studies, in using gender to examine social justice through the lives and lens of women, and in the informal economy of women (part of my grad work). I found this site after having coffee and talk time with one of my soul sisters...which makes this find sort of serendipitous. It's called THE GIRL EFFECT and there is a lot of good evidence here that changing girls lives WILL change the world. I'm like, "duh, we know that!"

Women and change are linked - here's a site that makes the case in a sort of postmodern way.
To top off the site there are 2 videos that feature young women from Ethiopia. It's worth a look - and the position paper is very good. If you are interested in the action agenda, read it here.

Funny aside: some of my 9th grade boy students call my cultural anthropology class "women's pride." I think it's a compliment of the highest sort.

Girl Power!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to sit back and read your links! Sounds fascinating -and you're right - we already knew the power of women. Thanks for your comments on our blog. I look forward to meeting you -- maybe at the picnic! Take good care:)