Thursday, September 3, 2009

Pedometers and Plumpy'Nut

Today by noon I had logged 13,000 steps on my pedometer. It's a fun trinket to use to measure my progress in my daily efforts to improve my health and reshape my body. The typical day's goal is to reach 10,000 steps per day, with 12,000-14,000 being better for weight loss programs. Today looks like it is going to be a banner day for me. I had a 2 mile run in the morning and shortly after I had my weekly meet and talk walk with Margaret. Dogs and little Blueberry are part of this second walk. It's the first time I've meshed the run and the walk (which also happens to be 2 miles) in the same morning. My legs and feet know it ... but I can't get over the irony of walking/running/eating in ways that includes goals that I, a person of privilege and wealth, pursue while others around the world who suffer from a serious lack of food, find themselves walking great distances often with sick and listless children in their arms, in order to find food and medical assistance. This is the irony of my pedometer and Plumpy'Nut.

Donate HERE to help feed those who don't have enough to eat: Doctors Without Borders has promised to direct all of the money we raise to Sub-Saharan Africa with special focus on Ethiopia. And, if you'd like to support my running program that is for a cause, donate HERE.

Now I have to go and take a nap. Another luxury in my life.

No comments: