Friday, October 3, 2008

18 Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes turns 18 today! She's such an amazing young woman. She's an accomplished clarinet player, an amazing ballroom dancer, she's a superb student (we tease her that she got more than her fair share of the family 'smarts'), she's incredibly determined and organized, and she's tender and compassionate. Wow - she's some kind of kid! I'm crazy proud of her, and I am in awe of her. She's the daughter I dreamed of having, the sister her sibling adore, and the friend her peers seek.

Twinkletoes has a keen interest in travel. She's been to Hungary, Slovakia, Ireland, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nicaragua, and Ecuador - already! I think she crossed the border into Peru, too. She's been in a volcanic eruption - that's right - she had to flee in the back of a truck with a carpet remnant covering her head. She thought to call me and say, "just want you to know I'm ok, this is expensive. Bye." HUH?????? Did I mention she is fiercely independent?

When she was 9 she wrote a story that is over 100 pages. She sat on the couch her entire first year of preschool - she didn't want any part of the silly and chaotic mess of kids careening around the room. She can windmill pitch a softball with incredible precision. She wears her coat in the house sometimes, it drives me bananas. She's cold, I'm warm. What a pair. She's a southpaw. She has a strong sense of justice and of fairness - sometimes it makes it hard to have a conflict with her. She's quiet and powerful. She thinks football is stupid, and she'd rather not eat red meat. Her bedroom smells so good. She loves a good salad, a book, her collection of photos, and she remembers where I PUT THINGS (which is good, because I forget!).


Twinkletoes will be going off to college next year. I'm excited to witness this next part of her journey. It's an incredible privilege to call Twinkletoes, "daughter."
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWINKLETOES!

No comments: